Friday 30 November 2012

Eduard 1/144 Junkers ju 52


Eduards little Aunt Ju is as good as it just goes in 1/144 scale. Just look at the little machine gun and the corrugated fuselage! There's even a set of etched parts to buy but it is doubtful if anyone will see the parts without using a fiber-optic camera. The breakdown of parts makes it easy to get uneven joints on the fuselage and it is difficult to putty and sand the fuselage without damageing the fine corrugated surface, so be careful when you glue parts together (sadly I was not!). The clear parts are very nice and the adhesive painting masks that come with the kit makes it easy to get a very nice canopy framing.

I painted it with colors from Life Color Luftwaffe Set 1. Note the low contrast between the RLM 70 and the RLM 71, Life color match my color samples almost perfect and there is the problem, the Luftwaffe did not build their planes in 1 / 144th scale! For scale, one color should be brighter than the other. I save my Ju 52 as a reminder of the scale effect on colors. When dry I gave it a coat of GW Gloss in preparation before decaling. You get a nice decal sheet with markings for four different machines and the decals are thin and conform easily to the surface. I finished with a coat of GW purity seal. 

When I look at the pictures I see that it needs a little touching up here and there. There is also some scratches on cargo door that need to be addressed.






No comments:

Post a Comment