Thursday 8 December 2011

Airfix Mitsubishi A6m2b ZERO 1/72 New Tool


Last is the all new Zero-fighter, a really nice little kit with an equally nice price. The kit consist of three spruce with 47 finely moulded parts, a one part canopy and a high quality decal sheet from Cartograf. You get only one colour option, a machine from 201st Kokta at New Guinea 1944, in Mitsubishi Green and IJN Light Grey. The instruction tells you to use H75 and H90 but I have learned to take those “Airfix recommended” Humbrol colours with pinch of salt (or two!) so I'm going to check my own library and the net before I chose my colours. Some have criticised Airfix for the somewhat heavy panel lines but I never found them to be a problem once the kit is painted. You can always give the kit a coat of primer before you paint to fill up the lines a bit.


I assembled and painted the cockpit Tamiya XF-7 and a decal took care of the instrument panel. The rest of the major parts went together without any problem. The plastic in this kit is very brittle and I mange to break the steering stick when I tried to remove it from the sprue. I made a new stick of a piece of wire.


The engine was painted semi gloss black and then dry brushed with light gun metal from a Tamiya weathering set.




I painted the model with Tamiya's acrylic paints. The topside XF70 and underside XF76. Once everything dryed I sprayed the model with a layer of Model Master Gloss Clear. The decals were very nice and they worked well with Micro Set / Sol decal fluids, no problem here. I put on a wash of diluted black oil paint to accentuate the panel lines and finished the model with a coat of Model Master Flat Clear.










No comments:

Post a Comment