Thursday 4 August 2011

Airfix Sea Harrier FRS. 1


I've just finished construction of the major fuselage parts and wing on the Airfix new Sea Harrier FRS.1 and decided to share some first impressions. The plastic used in Airfix new kits are very soft and parts damages easily when removing them from the sprue. The trick is not to cut to close to the part and to trim of the last bit with a sharp blade. To get a good fit between the fuselage parts you need to trim and dry fit the cockpit assembly, parts 8b, 9b, 39b and the air duct assembly or use clamps and filler as I did. The Air intakes fits badly but the plastic is very soft and with some careful carving and sanding they blend nicely with the fuselage. I dry fitted the wing to the fuselage and the fit is good and the joint follows the natural panel lines so no filer is required.

To be continued...

I've just finished the model and the end result is ok. I think the panel lines are a bit heavy and the kit lacks in finesse but al the bits are there and It certainly looks right. The main landing gear was to long so I had to cut it of and shorten it and then there was the problem with the intakes otherwise I had no problem with the kit or the decals. I painted the plane with the new Humbrol Acrylic thinned with Tamiya thinner. I've heard that the new Airfix Harrier GR9 will be a more refined kit and I will certainly buy that one when it's available. See link: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72925







No comments:

Post a Comment